Saturday 6 March 2010

getting what you wish for

Sometimes when praying for something to happen, I have a picture in my mind as to what a positive response from God would look like. So much so, that when it doesnt look like he gives my 'model answer' to prayer, I wrongly assume God never answered at all. However, I have to remember that his ways are not my ways. I am not praying to some version of me, so predictable that I could read his responses like a book, but I pray to God. Knowable, but mysterious. 'God is in heaven; he does whatever pleases him.'

Its possible that I stare answers to prayer in the face every day, and never acknowledge them as his answers. If for every cry of "lord, im on my own again" brings about conversation with scores of people I wish to avoid with all my heart, then it looks like I pray the wrong prayer, and have the wrong heart. Why should God please me in letting me relate to people, if in relating to people, Gods glory and his personality is not being shown?

So, be careful what you pray for. It cannot be assumed that you are just filling empty spaces with words - God willing, they can be a means to effect in this world. Gods answers to prayers have the potential to humiliate you, but they always lead us back to Him, the inventor of all things good.

No comments:

Post a Comment